Thursday, October 4, 2012

So, how is it going?

This is a question posed to me at least once a day. I'm amazed at how many different ways the above 5 words can be spoken to ask what is basically the same question. I am asked sympathetically, by those concerned by my terrible, last-resort choice; excitedly by those who think our new life is fun and adventurous; guardedly by those who know I'm crazy but feel the need to pretend I am still redeemable; earnestly by those with a genuine interest in the journey. Depending on the asker's inflection, my answer varies in length and depth, but mostly revolves around AWESOME. Not awesome as in always perfect and easy, but rather equated to inspiring, exciting. My kids are awesome. It's just that simple. Taking away the pressures of school and rigid schedules has allowed me to appreciate that more fully. I am no longer responsible for shaping my children into someone else's view of normal and that is extremely freeing. Sports Nut is having fewer anxiety-incited meltdowns and I have more patience and empathy to pull him back to a good place when a meltdown occurs. Drawing Diva is confidently creating art and stories and trying to run the show. Mini Marvel is still her amazing self, unencumbered by others' expectations.

Oh, but you meant how is it going academically? We are doing well. Some days are very busy with activities and we don't get around to doing any 'school'. Some days the kids are in a great sponge-like learning mode and we do lots of 'school'. We are learning to adapt to each other's moods and styles. We read a lot. We play a lot. We have two new exciting research projects proposed to us by friends who are business owners. Classes taught by other homeschool parents began this past Tuesday at our community center. Sports Nut is dissecting a frog, learning about medieval times, and taking acting and a 'crazy concoction' classes. Drawing Diva is also in the medieval times class, as well as art, dance, and hands-on science classes. Mini Marvel goes to Best Preschool Ever in the afternoons and has amazing adventures everyday. Today we are attending the first session in a three-part series on wilderness survival and Native American history. It will be a beautiful day to be outside walking, listening, asking, and thinking. The kids will bring their nature journals to take notes and cameras to take photos. Although our days typically have less that 1 hour of structured, school-esque activity, I am confident that my kids are learning and growing. So yeah, we're good, thanks for asking.

No comments:

Post a Comment